Friday 26 February 2010

"Tell me about the sandwiches, George"

Earlier this week I was perusing the sandwiches in Sainsbury's and felt that the girl loading the shelves was getting uncomfortably close. I looked down at her and noticed that (aside from being quite short) she had down’s syndrome. Boldly resisting the urge to point and laugh (I am an oak of restraint) I looked back to the shelf then felt a tug on my sleeve and heard [adopts 'down’s voice'...now don't be like that, you know exactly what I mean] "scuse me, can you move the sandwiches on the top shelf so they are all together? Ican’treachemhankyou". I knew what she was asking, and having read 'Of Mice and Men', I didn't want to anger her.

So I did it.

Badly, as it happens, because she then tugged my sleeve again saying, "no put them behind each other" (I was grouping the fillings together, like some kind of idiot).

So I started again, conscious of her [judge]mental gaze.

I then plucked a pastrami sandwich from the shelf, paid and left. Walking back up to the office I nearly fell over when I suddenly thought, 'hang on a moment...'. My question is this: which is more bizarre, having my sandwich grouping skills criticised by someone that can’t tie their own shoelaces, or Sainsbury's expecting a dwarf to stack the top shelf?

No comments:

Post a Comment